Greetings Fellow Leucadians,
2016 was an incredible year on the Main Street. We hope to collaborate with you in 2017 as we continue to work for our community and vision for the future.
As Board President, I have had the opportunity to represent our Board and our members at City Council Meetings, community gatherings and as a volunteer for our city. The Leucadia 101 Main Street has been serving the community for nearly a decade and a half. Personally, I will be wrapping up my final (and third!) year as president in May and we will be holding our board elections at the end of that month. If volunteering for the community speaks to you, consider getting involved or running for the board!
Please read a few community highlights below:
- Leucadia 101 Main Street programming brought over 25,000 residents and visitors to the Main Street corridor throughout the course of the year.
- Business sales tax revenue was up in 2016 which means collective sales were up for all of our independently owned and operated businesses.
- Our staff and volunteer board worked closely with the City to secure an additional 3.5M dollars of funding for the N. Coast Hwy 101 Streetscape and the inclusion of parking pods along the rail corridor that will eventually add a minimum of 135 new and safely accessible parking spaces with the N. Coast Hwy 101 streetscape.
- The City of Encinitas received a 4.7M dollar grant from the state to build a much needed railroad underpass at Union Street which will serve all of the children at Paul Ecke Central School, farmers market patrons and Leucadia residents who want to access the beach and our vibrant commercial corridor safely by foot and bike.
- The LeucadiART walk was the best one to date thanks to a grant from the City of Encinitas that allowed our staff to get creative and incorporate live art and dance into our event programming. Look for more programming like that in 2017!
- We hosted 51 successful farmers market Sundays which benefit the Paul Ecke Central School PTA and our organization.
- New public art installations included a giant 30 ft. mural in the heart of downtown (at 715 N Coast Hwy 101) and two SDG&E utility boxes revitalized with original art.
- Two scholarships were awarded to deserving seniors at San Dieguito Academy pursuing a higher education in music. We look forward to building this scholarship fund and fostering the next generation of our community’s talented musicians. Here in Leucadia, we like to think of our hood at the “Art and Soul of Encinitas”.
- Thanks to a growing volunteer base, thousands of cigarette butts and trash were removed from Highway 101 and our local beaches with four community clean ups organized by the Leucadia 101 Main Street and local businesses.
- We surpassed 8,000 Instagram followers, one of our strongest social media tools to promote our local businesses.
As we move forward in 2017 we will continue to work closely with the City of Encinitas to communicate with the community and maintain the timeline for the N. Coast Hwy 101 streetscape. We will work hard to ensure the timeline of the railroad underpass at Union Street. We will continue to promote public art and the installation of art in our community. We will work with the new Encinitas City Arborist to steward the trees in the best way possible. Last but not least, we will continue to promote our local businesses and reinforce the importance of shopping locally.
I would like to give a huge thank you to our 15-person Volunteer Board of Directors, our staff, our fellow main street organizations, our volunteers, our community partners and our members who support our comprehensive Main Street program and helped create an outstanding 2016. To find out more about our program and the Main Street Approach click here.
Don’t forget to keep it funky!
Board President 2014-2017